Welcome, Guest. Please login .
September 02, 2014, 09:39:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Sorry for the delay in getting the forums back up.  I just wanted to clean things up a bit first.  Let me know if you come across any problems.  Thanks for your patience!
222905 Posts in 43621 Topics by 261 Members
Latest Member: ccgirl
* Home Help Search Login
+  Discussion Boards
|-+  Sensing and Clues
| |-+  Seismic Sentries
| | |-+  Schutzen dogs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Schutzen dogs?  (Read 2672 times)
Michelle

Email
Schutzen dogs?
« on: July 24, 2005, 11:31:44 PM »

Anyone here know anything about Schutzen training for dogs or sheps?
Thx!
rozanne

Email
Schutzen dogs?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 07:56:31 AM »

I do.
My last GSD was from a Schultzhund kennel but she wasn't schultzhund trained. I have had several friends who took their dogs through the training. One of my friends was the only person to have an Italian Greyhound pass the course! (she did it on a dare)
Having a Schultzhund dog is having a dog trained to do *serious work*. It is like living with a loaded gun that thinks for itself. It is a lot of responsibility and liability. They are capable of doing a great deal of damage in a very short amount of time. An owner of a schultzhund dog should be extremely responsible and have special training for controlling the dog.

The major drawback that I've seen with these dogs is that even "pets" are hyper alert for a very long time after training. They lose their friendliness. To me, as a dog socializer and handler, that ruins the "pet" quality of a dog. Just about any dog extremely bonded to you, even something as small as a Pomeranian, or as gentle as a golden retriever, will do their best to defend you from a *serious* threat without any training whatsoever. After all, you are their pack, their supplier of resources (food, water, toys, treats), and their companionship.
When I was assaulted 14 years ago, somebody was careful to lock my dog up first.
Mel

Email
Schutzen dogs?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 11:45:23 AM »

It's called Schutzhund training.  It's a German sport of training working dogs (shepherds, rotties, dobies, Belgian Malinois) for tracking (scent), obedience and protection.  There are numerous clubs throughout the USA in which you can join and train your dog.  Google it for your area.
amg

Email
Dogs Sense Montana Quake
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 11:15:42 PM »

Found this link on the net. Interesting

amg
Cal

Email
Amg-Dogs Sense Montana Quake
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 05:09:11 PM »

Amg--read my dogs sentence. Too strange. Can you cut and paste the text to the link? My computer won't let me read it.
Cal
P.S. I did put your eq warning system in The Man Who Predicts Earthquakes Smiley

Date:    7/25/2005 12:46:38 PM Pacific Standard Time    
To:    COrey39184    
Watched it last night for amusement. Then, had a dream. Northern CA/NV and even Wyoming got significant quakes. Dogs alerted me and then newspapers were selling about the earthquakes. Very real the shaking of the ground. So, perhaps this means more is to come.
cal

Email
Dogs Sense Montana Quake
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 05:57:07 PM »

I read the article on how dogs sensed the quake. How in the heck did I dream this stuff? "Then, had a dream. Northern, CA/NV and even Wyoming got significant quakes. Dogs alerted me and then newspapers were selling about the earthquakes." It's just too strange for words.
amg

Email
Original Phenom Post
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 07:07:52 PM »

This is the original phenom post I made which has gone off the board. The Missoulian reports have updated now, I am sure. There is also a story of cats walking in a circle before the quake hit. I am wondering if there were any "strung" horses up there before the quake also.

amg
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: